Skip to main content

Rules of the South

Back again. Some of you may have thought that I go out every night, all night, to examin those male-female relations more closely. I am terribly sorry to dissapoint you... believe me, more then you can imagine...
I'm not saying I'm not willing. I am not saying I am not capable, oh no, I am saying I am being prevented by the State of Mississippi, and not just me, but everyone!!! There's no discrimination in these laws, oh no.
Public order shall be ensured at all times. Any and every drunken behaviour at all hours of day and night shall be stopped and taken care of immediately [by arresting the drunken person]. All public shops and clubs that pore alcoholic beverages will be closed before 1AM on ordinary weeknights. On saturdays no store will be opened after 12AM (!!!) and will remain closed all through the Holy Sunday.
This is in short what the laws (at least in Oxford) ought to look like. I haven't actually read them, but believe me, Police is there to remind me. And not just Oxford Police whose web adress you have over there, but also the University Police, and all other different security organizations keeping peace in this small community.
And THAT is not all. I haven't mentioned this before but OleMiss Campus is not part of City of Oxford, MS, but has a separate legal status. And you know what that means? More restrictions! We can't buy or KEEP alcohol anywhere on the Campus grounds.
The dormitories are SEPARATE (the best one is mine, Guess Hall, whose two wings, one for men and the other for women, connect in a small common room that we use together but still have to leave the ID's at the desk if we go to each other's wing).
All visitors (especially of opposite sex) have very restricted access to the host's room(s) [meaning, they can't sleep over and have to be out of the Dormitory by 1AM!].
There may be others but I can't think of them right now.
And all this applies to everyone living on Campus -- except, for fraternity and sorority buildings. They 'shouldn't' keep alcohol, and shouldn't party all night, and shouldn't sleep over, but does anyone check? Of course not! They have 'the land of their own' and I don't think the police can even enter their premises without their permition or a court order (oh, yeah! another little detail: every night we get a small visit from a friendly police(wo)man in that common room I mentioned). And they should also put fire alarms, but who cares!?
Now, I've only been here for two weeks, right? And am a foreigner so as a rule me entering a fraternity is very unlikely if not impossible, so these are only accounts of people who've actually been there, and I certainly intend to check it out.
I am not saying that's all they're doing, but when you read this article you will have to wonder who gets to party with restrictions like these?
Anyways, enough for now. Be yourselves!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello from Bosnia. My criminal law exam went well (check my grammar, please :) ), I passed 2nd, 3rd and 4th question - 8. Only "Posebni dio" left. ;)

Regards,

Admir

P.S. Yea, yea, why I didn't use e-mail like every normal person? Well, last two words of question gave you answer. :)
Anonymous said…
joj jadan nas mali emir...pa tebe tamo stvarno ogranicavaju..ali nista zato, kada dodjes ovjde bices narazuzdaniji decko, sto i nije toliko lose:))) guess who i m...
Emir said…
@Admir: My mom told me about your exam, congrats!!! get on that google talk, i just ordered a laptop and its coming in the following week, so I wont have to spend any extra time and money to talk to Bosnia.
@Anonymous: ma vidi ti nje, e jest mi tesko bilo pogoditi... Anja? Jasmina? Suzana?
:P :P :P :P
PS: I know who you are, but the problem is, do you know?
Anonymous said…
decko, ne zezaj, svakako ne pijes toliko.a sto se tice tih zabava - TOUGH LUCK, DUDE!bolje ti je nego nama u svakom slucaju.ali opet, mi mozemo nabaviti alkohol kad hocemo i gdje hocemo...:oD
Anonymous said…
Hello, mali! First of all, you could start feeling extreme pain in southern part of your back if you continue to make teta Ismeta worry!

Second, I am currently busy with something here in Cazin, I will talk about it via mail or talk you mentioned (though I know s**t about it :) ).

Third, I will go to English lessons this year, I believe in our teacher! ;PpPpPpPpP

Regards,

Admir

Popular posts from this blog

The Cutest Thing

Does it get any cuter??? Anyway, Cute Overload is a beautifuly cutest thingy blog ever ever blog... What can I say, cutest puppies get to me in ways unimaginable to people that don't know me that well... But not to be all cutsie and puppy eyes on you, a bit of WARNING! This post'll have to do with the next award I'll be giving away as soon as I figure out what it'll be...

Here I Am...

Never mind, an old song... To begin with, a brief account of our visit to Washington D.C., a lovely place that by some strange universal accident landed on a wrong continent. :) We didn't get much chance to walk around the City, somewhat because of the rain and also our busy schedule. But we did see (at least from afar) most of the most famous monuments that make this city what it is. We were located in the City Center so we also saw all the old architecture that one wouldn't expect anywhere outside Europe, and also got a tour of a big fortress Americans call State Department. But we got a chance to see a whole lot of Bosnian politicians. I do not want to curse on this blog so I will just skip the general impression I got from our political "elite" and religious leaders. With people like that our country can only go – downhill. I did get a chance to meet a lot of interesting people outside of that group. I made a little mistake, 9 Bosnian students came to that anniver