Skip to main content

The Big Contest

Yep, it's here. After weeks of announcing and figuring out just how to promote it, here's the contest you've all been waiting for. Yes, it's gonna be tough, and yes, you can get this book just about anywhere else (especially Amazon :)), but is there anything smarter for you to do?
Not really is there? That's why you should stick with me at least until the end of this post. Anyone who's been reading my blog for the past month knows that I was in a Human Rights class in Fall semester, and others that payed more attention to my posts know that my professor was Kevin Bales. For the class I needed to get this book and it's one of the few I haven't been sorry I did.
Drinan
The Mobilization of Shame:
A World View of Human Rights (Softcover)
by
Robert F. Drinan

The book has only been read oftenly, but I keep all my books in excelent condition (as my sister would tell you).
Father (yes, he's a priest AND a human rights expert) Drinan here describes the history of the human rights movement since the WWII and the obstacles it faces today. And despite the fact that the inevitable rise of human rights development has been decreased and almost stopped by the actions of the US Government lead by George W. Bush since 2001 when this book was published, and the UN's inaction even before that, it holds greate knowledge about just how the system works, what we can expect and for what we must fight.
Now after all this I begin to wonder if I want to part with this book myself... but it's time. My room is starting too get crowded and I really don't want to send 20 packages with all the stuff I buy here. That's why I'll see to some of the stuff on ebay (since you can sell anything there, and my oversized shirt isn't something worth giving away (though it is new)) at a respectful blog like this; and other stuff you can expect to be given away the same way like this book.
About the planned question... Well, it's a tough job picking a question when you don't know exactly from where to ask it. I got a general idea about a set of questions from the field of human rights I find interesting but then thought if you would find it interesting... In the end, here's what I came up with, to encompass the topics I talked about the most on this Blog:

Human rights have been developing since the beginning of time, but got affirmed in the minds of people around the world only in the past two centuries or so. From the American and French revolutions until today many documents and agreements have been signed on the road of reaching that ultimate goal - equal rights for all humans, no matter what age, color or gender.
Americans (some reluctantly) were responsible for one other thing - abolishment of the slavery around the world. But making it illegal didn't make it disappear and slavery still exists everywhere, even next door to you. Which brings us to the question of the hour:

Which country is considered by the experts to have the biggest number of slaves in the world at the moment?

Person who correctly answers this question will receive the book in their mail as soon as possible. :) I don't think the question is too hard, but you won't be able to find it easily on the common search engins.
Answers post here in the comments or on my email.
For the end, here's the guy that won my blogspace on the BlogExplosion this week: JeremyShip has a nice writer's blog where he also gives away stuff, so check it out on the link in my right sidebar or here.

Comments

Vurdlak said…
baci oko jel ti se svidja link ?

Popular posts from this blog

The Cutest Thing

Does it get any cuter??? Anyway, Cute Overload is a beautifuly cutest thingy blog ever ever blog... What can I say, cutest puppies get to me in ways unimaginable to people that don't know me that well... But not to be all cutsie and puppy eyes on you, a bit of WARNING! This post'll have to do with the next award I'll be giving away as soon as I figure out what it'll be...

Rules of the South

Back again. Some of you may have thought that I go out every night, all night, to examin those male-female relations more closely. I am terribly sorry to dissapoint you... believe me, more then you can imagine... I'm not saying I'm not willing. I am not saying I am not capable, oh no, I am saying I am being prevented by the State of Mississippi, and not just me, but everyone!!! There's no discrimination in these laws, oh no. Public order shall be ensured at all times. Any and every drunken behaviour at all hours of day and night shall be stopped and taken care of immediately [by arresting the drunken person]. All public shops and clubs that pore alcoholic beverages will be closed before 1AM on ordinary weeknights. On saturdays no store will be opened after 12AM (!!!) and will remain closed all through the Holy Sunday. This is in short what the laws (at least in Oxford) ought to look like. I haven't actually read them, but believe me, Police is there to remind me. And n

Here I Am...

Never mind, an old song... To begin with, a brief account of our visit to Washington D.C., a lovely place that by some strange universal accident landed on a wrong continent. :) We didn't get much chance to walk around the City, somewhat because of the rain and also our busy schedule. But we did see (at least from afar) most of the most famous monuments that make this city what it is. We were located in the City Center so we also saw all the old architecture that one wouldn't expect anywhere outside Europe, and also got a tour of a big fortress Americans call State Department. But we got a chance to see a whole lot of Bosnian politicians. I do not want to curse on this blog so I will just skip the general impression I got from our political "elite" and religious leaders. With people like that our country can only go – downhill. I did get a chance to meet a lot of interesting people outside of that group. I made a little mistake, 9 Bosnian students came to that anniver